good starting point

Return to Message Board

can anyone suggest a good place to start camping /hiking trips.we are looking for spots to camp and have a couple of days of easy to medium hiking withsome good views.being from fl.we are just starting our mtn experince.thanks for your help.

When are you planning your first outing?  I'll have some ideas, but most probably aren't open currently due to snow.  How much hiking are you looking to do and where in the northwest are you located?
Forrest
The Timberline Trail starts at the Timberline Lodge up on Mt Hood east on Hwy 26. To reach Timberline Lodge, follow Highway 26 a short distance past Government Camp, then turn left onto Timberline Road. Park east of the lodge in one of the signed parking areas. The upper parking area is restricted to lodge guests, and clearly marked. A snow-park permit is required to park in winter.

And the eagle creek trail is in the gorge East on I-84 Coming from Portland, travel eastbound on I-84, and turn off at Exit #41. At the bottom of the ramp turn right. Go about 1/2 mile to the end of the road. You will go passed a footbridge (that takes hikers up to Wauna Viewpoint) as the road narrows to one lane. Continue a short ways to a large parking lot, parking only in designated spaces. This day use area has a fee of (i think) five dollors that you can pay at the trail haed or you can use a NW forest pass.

I bieleve both of these hike are in the book "60 hikes within 60 miles of Portland" by Catherine Brooks. You can get it under 15 dollors on Amazon.
D-Money
Where are you located in the NW?
Adam
Well first off welcome to the NW, I would suggest doing the Timberline Trail. It's 41 miles and filled with spetacular views. Also I would suggest traveling the Eagle Creek trail to Wahtum Lake. I beilve its about 12-13 miles to the lake, you can set up base camp and do some day hikes around the area. These are pretty busy trails so being new to the area youl met alot of helpful people along the way to answer any questions you might have along the way.
D-Money